Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Adoption and Family


I knew my great grandmothers… or perhaps it would be better to say I met them a couple of times and heard hundreds of stories about them. I remember visiting their houses with beautiful gardens full of tulips and room upon room filled with porcelain dolls. I remember the long beautiful white hair of my Czech babushka and the blue turban my stylish GG (short for great grandmother) used to wear.

This year, I lost both of my grandmothers… one in January and the other in the last couple of weeks. One of the saddest parts of this is that my children will not have the fond memories I do of my greats.  Fortunately, Ian’s grandmothers will be around to meet our son or daughter when he or she comes home from Bulgaria. I really can’t wait for them to meet!

Family is one of those precious things that is always growing! More and more people are included each year through marriages, births, and, like in our case, adoption. We love this way of growing our family because it fulfills God’s purposes as expressed in Psalm 68:6: “God sets the lonely in families.” We are reflecting the heart of God. Adoption is God’s way of growing His family…

You see, both of my grandmothers choose to live life outside of God’s family. I know one called upon Jesus during her last hours and I believed she was saved. I don’t know what happened in the last moments of my other grandmother. But I know that, if she called upon the Name of the Lord, she was saved, adopted into God’s eternal family at that very moment. I will meet her again.

Normally, I try to advocate for the dear children without families. I ask, “Will you adopt?” This time, I have a different question… Will you be adopted? Will you let God grow you into His family?




No comments:

Post a Comment