Monday, May 14, 2012

A Mother's Day Battle

I’m a mom! This Sunday was my first Mother's Day! It is the most beautiful feeling in the world!
It is a title that I will wear like a crown – such responsibility and joy!
“But where’s the kid?” says my enemy who has come to kill my joy. “If you were a mother, you would have a kid in your arms.” It is so tempting to listen to his evil lies. But I have an answer for him:
“My child may be in an orphanage far away, but he or she is my child nonetheless and soon will be in my arms!”
“So far away, so long to wait, such a tremulous connection – you don’t even know who the child is, not even sure if it is a boy or girl… are you sure you’re its mother?” Evil, evil creature to tempt me to despair! But with this dialogue comes the sure knowledge of my calling. The very motherhood that the enemy is calling into doubt rises up within me - I feel like a mother bear and someone is threatening my cub!
“My child is not an orphan! I am its mother and it is loved and wanted beyond all else! I will sacrifice my life to have this child as my own!” I look about me for my sword… ah, here it is:
I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. John 14:18
Jesus uttered these words for us… but they are my battle cry for my child.
And so I pray, “Father, Your Fatherhood is higher and mightier than any passion of motherhood that comes from me… this child is Your child before it is mine. You are watching over it, protecting it, feeding it, nurturing it, loving it. I may be far away, but You are close. It may be a year or two before I hold him or her, but You are holding my child now. I do not even know if it is a boy or a girl… but you know his or her innermost thoughts and count each heartbeat. I am trusting You with my child, Lord. And I am trusting You with my motherhood. I am trusting You to close the gap in time and space and bring us together as a family. Whisper into the heart of my child – of my love and longing, and how we are preparing a place for him or her and will come soon.”

1 comment: