Tuesday, October 16, 2012

How to Choose a Child

We continue to tie up loose ends for our home study… a form here, a letter of reference there. No momentous accomplishments, just little steps.

I also continue to check (almost daily) the webpage of waiting children available through our agency. I know that it only changes every two months, so they are the same faces there as yesterday. I know my son or daughter is not among them… yet. But I pray for them, that they would find families, find love. One is an angry little boy – who can blame him? Everyone he has ever known has rejected him. One is a cute little girl who can only just barely walk with a walker due to cerebral palsy. A couple of sibling groups, a sweet little girl whose only fault is epilepsy. How does one choose amongst so many wonderful little people?

Quite honestly, if I had my way, I would adopt them all. Ian and I have prayerfully considered each – hoping that God will say, “Yes, this is your son!” or “Yes, this is your little girl!” But each time, the Lord has said, “No, you are not the plans I have for this little one. Wait, you will see My purposes for your child soon enough.” So while I pray for each sweet soul, I leave them in God’s hands.

We are leaning on this promise that God has placed in our hearts: “Wait, you will see My purposes soon enough… For I know the plans I have for you, plans for good!”

I would write about something else… about how cute it will be to set up our little one’s room, or maybe discuss if we should adopt siblings. I am sure these will be later posts. But no, this is where I am at – this is the lesson God has me learning right now. This is the path Ian and I are walking down… learning to trust in God’s purposes, in His plans. When it comes to choosing a child, we seek those plans and purposes.

So when we see the most adorable set of twin boys, for example, we both, separately, seek out God’s will. “Is this the child/children for us?” is the question that we ask our Father. God answers and we then share the answer we received individually with each other. So far, we have heard the exact same thing every time. Each time, we are so eager, hoping God will say, “Yes.” Each time, we have received God’s “No” that is accompanied by His peace. We know that He has plans for these children, plans for GOOD. But those plans do not include us. (Note: For those of you who are as eager as we are and ready to jump to any wonderful, but mistaken, conclusion, I will spell it out for you: this means we are not adopting said twin boys in the example. Don't get too excited yet.)

When it comes to choosing a child, we are leaving the choice in God’s hands. We are opening wide our arms and waiting for the child God will place in them. We will keep waiting and we will keep asking. We are eagerly anticipating God’s “Yes!”, when His plans for a specific child are include in His plans for us – and vice versa! Hasten the day, Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment